Friday, March 30, 2007

Jewelry Art: Etched Long Dome


This long-dome style ring is a classic shape for my style - I love what a longer ring does to a lady's hand. This one I treated a little differently: first, I covered the surface with designs and glyphs, tediously etched into the surface with dental burrs and stipple tools... and secondly, instead of flush-inlaying the sugilite stone into the surface, I thought it would be more dramatic if the stone rose out of the top surface in a polished bezel. And I went one step further: I made the bezel just slightly smaller than the opening in the dome, leaving a black space between the bezel & dome that forms a dramatic accent.


The stone is sugilite from Africa - a gorgeous purple stone with bluish-white & dark matrix. This ring is available now, and was made in a size 7 with a wide shank. Signed on the back with my hallmark stamp. Price is $345 plus $5 shipping and handling (priority mail). If you want me to send it to you, just email me at David@StewartArt.com or phone me at the studio: (505) 296-1400.
DESIGN, PHOTO AND TEXT © DAVID LLOYD STEWART - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: